Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Beauty of a Child at Play

There is nothing quite like it
The presence of a joy that as adults we forget
The innocence of a game
That lights up the face of a toddler

A giggle that makes the sun shine brighter
A playful bounce across the playground
A hop, a skip and a jump
A smile depicting utter happiness

It is so rewarding to watch a child at play, the pride that oozes from their tiny little faces as they achieve a level within a game. My man’s little boy has being playing computer games this morning. He is still too young to read and sometimes it can become quite frustrating when he asks for help every five seconds. Yet he has taught himself how to start and exit the different games, how to log onto his profile when he starts up the pc, all at the tender age of four.

I remember when my man decided to buy him a laptop. I simply couldn’t fathom the idea of such a young child having his very own Dell laptop. It seemed completely over-the-top to me. I was raised in a way that I only received such extravagant items if I had earned them. However, my man is of the belief that in this day and age learning to use a computer is as important as riding a bicycle. We agreed to disagree and he bought the laptop from the sale they were having at his company. I was very stubborn at first. “Do not eat anywhere near the laptop”, “Do not drink anywhere near the laptop”, “Do not sneeze on the laptop”, but once I saw him learning how to use it I forgot all about my concerns. It was remarkable. His coordination of the mouse left me speechless, especially because he has little coordination in basic things like walking down the hall.

He was playing a game that I downloaded off the Internet for him. It is called Diver Jimmy. A simple game with colourful graphics and a basic plot. As he completed level one I heard a loud scream followed by hurried footsteps as he ran towards our study. “I did it! I passed the level. All by myself!” he shouted over-excitedly. I gave him the kind of hug my mom used to call a ‘python hug’. It is a very tight squeeze and he giggled and ran back to his computer. A basic moment to so many, but a precious, unforgettable one to me. He is a very introverted little boy and to see him come alive like that makes my world stop. He may not be my child, but the pride I felt was that of a normal mother. An innocent joy that changed my entire day. Thank you my little angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment