Friday, April 29, 2011

Land of Deuville

Land of Deuville
(564 Words)

It is a trying life being a superhero. Dedicating hour after hour attempting to save the world, trying to conjure up new tactics in order to combat criminals and the evils of our world and, obviously, making time for all the outfits I have to wear!

I am not your traditional superhero. I choose who I want to be at that critical moment.
I am Batman.
I am Spiderman.
I am Superman.
I can even be Tarzan, if it were required.
The criminals I encounter are not the usual either, by any means. I take on the evils of parents, teachers, soldiers and many other revolting creatures. I spend my time securing the village of Deuville and destroying all of its notorious inhabitants.

This lifestyle can become very tiresome, and as a result the League of Obviously Bizarre Superheroes and Friends decides on a single night which all superheroes are relieved of their duties and are allowed to spend their time off behaving like normal humans. Tonight, April 23rd, is that particular evening.

Due to performing my duties religiously for years, it becomes arduous for me to return to normal life. I have attempted playing board games with my family. I had a bubble bath at four o’clock in the afternoon and spent the rest of the evening lounging in my pyjamas. I have watched far too many movies and brought my artistic skills to life on a piece of dull, processed wood. Nothing can keep my desperate yearning to perform my skills, or the memories at bay. One particular flash back haunts me whenever I close my eyes, even to blink.

It was a lifeless day, apart from the blobs of water the sky chose to spit down on my head. I retreated from my dripping attack and found refuge in my home. Within minutes I heard the alarms burning through my town of Deuville. Feeling the ‘webular’ masteries of Spiderman, I flashed into my suit and descended upon my town.

Devastation reigned. Giant creatures, all of a different form and make up, ripped apart the buildings. Behind all this disaster stood their leader: a vicious, pale-skinned cretin with legs that reached higher than our tallest structures. This creature towered above everything and I had no concept of how I was to bring it down.

Upon initializing my attack, I discovered the monster’s weakness – webbing tossed over the feet – this caused great anger and frustration. The beast began to yell and rub furiously to eradicate my webs. Noticing this pattern, I waited until the moment when the monster was bent over trying to erase my marks and I sent a fierce wave of sticky entrapment, trapping it in a giant ball. The creature fell to the ground, tears falling dangerously from its eyes. I had saved my town and brought the monster to justice. Barbie will no longer be a threat to my people, and neither will my sister for that matter. She was very unimpressed to find her plastic doll covered in wood glue.

Being a superhero is a tough position to hold, but being a four year old one is even more complicated. No one understands your desire to rid the world of evil, and parents become frustrated with the trail of destruction left behind in my efforts. One day, when I really do save the world, perhaps they will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment